Contact event manager
Book your tickets
OOAK Doll Repainting Workshop
Saturday, 12:00 PM to Saturday, 6:30 PM
February 1, 2020
OOAK (One of a Kind) Doll Repainting is an art that gives new life to simple toy dolls. If you have tried your hand at doll repaints but want some more in-depth learning, this class is for you.
Some people might say that dolls are toys for kids and nothing more. But incredible artists can change the minds of the harshest critics.
Keriann Carney is one of those people. The NC artist, currently working in Concord, repaints regular dolls making them into real one-of-a-kind pieces of art.
She has transformed many simple dolls giving them realistic faces of actors and characters. Her repaints are done with intricate detail to the point of being naturally lifelike in essence. Repainted dolls are sold as collectors’ items and are wildly popular.
Keriann will lead students in a step by step style instruction on painting dolls from start to finish. Students will learn:
- Concept and planning style of your doll
- Creating depth and realism layering colors.
- Sealing and finishing details
- Tackling common mistakes
Skill level: Intermediate to advance (No prerequisite required, but students will benefit from some prior basic doll repainting experience). This class is intended to help bring your skills to the next level. Class is intended ages 18 and up.
Supplies Required of Student*:
- Doll to repaint (Vinyl dolls only, no porcelain, or dolls with inset, glass, or acrylic eyes) Examples are: Monster High, Ever After High, Disney Animator or DC Superhero Girls.
- Sealant – Mr. Superclear UV Cut Flat is strongly recommended. It is difficult to find in the stores but can be ordered on Amazon or Ebay. Alternatives are Army Painter Anti-shine Matte Varnish, or Testors Dullcote.
- Artist Grade Watercolor Pencils (Recommend Derwent or Arteza)
- Variety of very small brushes (round, flat, angle)
- Face mask suggested to protect from sealant
- Eraser (micro or sharpenable recommended)
*These supplies can be provided by the instructor for an additional $5 per person fee. Please select supplies under “Additional Services” during checkout if you would like to have these provided for you.
Supplies Provided by Instructor:
- Paper towels
- Cotton pads & swabs
- Hand Sanitizer
- Soft Pastels
- Pencil Sharpeners
- Gloss Varnish
- Saran Wrap
- White Acrylic Paint